Friday 21 October 2016

Rapid weight gain....rapid weight loss???

Such a long time between writings...I did warn you in my profile. :(  2016 has been an incredibly busy year.  Once again, some madness took hold and I started studying Bachelor Accounting as well as working full-time, trying to be fit by running or doing gym most days and still driving over an hour each way to and from work!  The result of this is that I am now exhausted...and I've not kept up with fitness the last 3 or so months and I've put a heap of weight back on.  I almost cried when I jumped on the scales after a long break and realised how bad it'd gotten again.  I am not a quitter, but at that point I came close to giving up this losing battle of trying to control my weight.  It seems that I am destined to be forever overweight.  But maybe not...hopefully not.... 

I've got hold of a new diet.  Now, I'm not one for fad diets.  They do not work, or if they do work it's very short-lived in my experience.  So I've always opted for the eat healthy, watch calories and do as much exercise as possible way of life.  But weight-loss has always been slow and doesn't stay lost...it's so frustrating.  A week ago I came across Michael Mosely's Blood Sugar Diet.  800 calories per day which guarantees fast weight loss.  800 calories does not sound much and I wondered if I could do it, but thought it worth a try.  I'm now on day 4.  Being a weekend I know I will struggle with 800 calories so am already prepared that I will go over, but will try and keep it under 1000 each day.  That way I should still lose, but maybe not as much.  I thought I'd share my journey on this diet:

  • Day 1 - was pretty easy.  I planned out my calories exactly and kept to them.  Other than a little hunger I didn't have any real problems.  By about 4pm I had a bit of a headache.  It felt like I had something sitting and pressing down on the top of my head.  Was annoying, but not unbearable.
  • Day 2 - 1.2kg gone!  I know, you're going to say it's all fluid and yes, I drank a lot of water yesterday and I was up and down all night to the loo, but feeling good despite lack of sleep.  Today was another good day.  Stuck to calories and ended on 760 calories for the day.  Had a bit of diarrhea tonight.  Think my digestive track is trying to adjust to lack of processed carbs.
  • Day 3 - woke up at 1am, wide awake and ready to bounce out of bed, but HUNGRY!  I was so, so hungry!  After an hour of tossing and turning I got up and had a piece of cheese.  Needed to do something as I need my sleep if I'm to function at work.  Went over calories, but not too badly.  Got up at 6am and another 1.2kg gone!  Woo-hoo...imagine if I keep losing at 1.2kg per day?  I'll be skinny before I know it!  :)  Ha, ha...not possible to maintain.  Another bout of darrhea and some discomfort in lower intestinal reagion for most of the morning.  Day 3 was very difficult.  I think my digestive track is now empty and I was so hungry.  Still managed to stick to my calories (or maybe a litte over), but it was a long day.  The hunger passed after dinner and I felt good going to bed and no hunger issues during the night.
  • Day 4 - Sadly, no weight loss today, but I think I must be retaining fluid now.  Drank heaps yesterday and last night, but output doesn't seem to be keeping up.  My body is still adjusting.  Saturday today so already planning a little extra today, but want to stick as close to 800 as I can.  Going to do some cooking and freezing of soups and other meals. 

I think this diet is definitely do-able, but requires a lot of planning and will-power.  I want to get a big weight loss before the Christmas eating season and my trip to Europe in April.  I am already finding after about day 2 that I had heaps of energy despite the hunger on day 3 and I feel fine today.  I will keep you posted.

For more info on Michael Mosely's Blood Sugar Diet, visit his website https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment